Thursday, July 25, 2013

Lessons from Levi #9

John and I are always learning from our own children. It's an absolutely amazing thing. God's design for family is the best learning environment for everyone involved.

So here is what we have been learning from our boys (though I'll still title this series Lessons from Levi).

#9 Fill up with healthy and good things.




We are always making our children try new and healthy foods. (Yes, Si is eating a pickle and pizza together). Why? The saying goes, "You are what you eat." The same can be said in our mental and spiritual lives. Just recently, Levi has taken to singing to himself while he plays or talking and pretending things with his cars and trucks. His songs range from his own makings intermingled with hymns, sunday school songs, worship songs and the list goes on and on. I cannot tell you how I love hearing my child sing his Bibles verses with his own made up tunes while he is in his room by himself. His cars and trucks go to church and line up and listen to "preacher man". Where does this stuff come from?

Matthew 12:34

For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Levi is already storing up treasures in his heart. And naturally there is selfishness and greed and all kinds of sin already residing in his little heart, but here we have this wonderful privilege of pouring in the good, pure and true. What are we pouring into their hearts?

Ephesians 5:19

Speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord.

John likes to make fun of me and will ask me, "Is life just one great big musical to you"? Yes, the kids and I love to sing, but it doesn't have to be a song, speak to your children from God's Word, all the time, all day long, don't give up. Read stories that you can draw Biblical characteristics from. Or when you are watching TV talk about how the characters are being like Jesus or how they aren't. 

Training children for godliness is in the ordinary everyday.

There's not a curriculum for that, I am the curriculum, my children are learning from me.


Shheew, so that means, John and I need to be filling up on the good and healthy things too.:) See, God's design is the best.


More Lessons from Levi

Lessons from Levi #8
Lessons from Levi #7
Lessons from Levi #6
Lessons from Levi #1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment