The past 8 months have been really trying to us as parents and I think to Levi as a toddler too! We have been dealing with lots of emotions from Levi and him constantly pushing the boundaries and acting out at times. But in the midst of all this, I have drawn so much closer to the Lord. I have to, if I didn't, I don't think I could make it through this. My heart has cried out for wisdom, patience, compassion and love and going through this has really opened my eyes to how God sees us, His "children". I know how unlovely and how sinful I am and I see that in my own child as the sin in his heart is made manifest by the decisions he makes. As we go through this journey called, "toddlerhood" here's a few things we have learned:
1. Children are all unique.
Ok, you may know this and think that's a no-brainer, but it really is so apparent when they are small like this, I have to mention it. I have been bad to compare my child to other children who seemingly know how to behave in public and that is the wrong road to travel on. "Why can't my child sit still for longer than 10 minutes, so-and-so's kid is so well-behaved". Don't go there, every child is different.
2. Kids need to be told what to do.
If Levi is not given options for something to do he finds something to do himself and it is usually not good. I realized for a time I was giving Levi too much "free-time" in other words, non-structured play time. This was resulting in lots of meltdowns because he was constantly getting into things he was not suppose to. So, now he is given options. When I am cooking dinner, I tell him he can play with his trucks quietly or play with his magnetic letters on the fridge. This way he's not running through the house screaming and terrorizing the dog because he knows Mommy is distracted.
3. Children need to LEARN to be still.
Learning to be quiet is not natural for some kids, and I think especially boys. I would love for Levi to be able to sit through a sermon at church and that is our future goal, but we are having to take baby steps at the moment.
*Sitting every time there is food involved, no matter what the snack is. I had a kid's table in our living area and we were bad about letting him eat and play while the snack was on his table. Not anymore!
*When Mommy (or whomever) is talking to him he has to make eye contact with me and answer me. This means stopping what he's doing and paying attention to what people are saying to him. This has made a huge difference in his life!
*Practice makes perfect. When I play my guitar I have Levi get on the couch and sit quietly while I play. I tell him he can lay down and rest or sit, but he cannot get down until Mommy says he can. This is really helping too!
4. Independence is a delicate matter.
Levi wants to do everything himself, he'll say, "Levi, do it". I am so glad he is growing and wants to learn so much but this is not always a good thing. I realized sometimes he just wanted control of the situation. So now, yes, I may let him take over and try it himself, but sometimes I'll say, "No Levi, Mommy is going to do it this time, you need to watch or listen."
5. Discipline is about instruction not reaction.
Boy, I'm definitely still working on this one! So many times, it is easy to just react to my children instead of taking the time to instruct and show them the way that they should go, but this is where the calling is. God gives us the strength to do this when we ask Him, I can say that with my whole heart. He has answered our calls/cries for help in the past few months and I know He will in the upcoming trying years as well.
I've alluded to us having a trying time with Levi in the blog the past few months so I thought I would clarify what's going on. Let me tell ya, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, "parenting" that is, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!
So when you see that screaming toddler at the grocery store, restaurant or mall this week, give that mom or dad an understanding smile and say a prayer for them, they need it!:) And say a prayer for us too!
No comments:
Post a Comment