Sunday:
We were ready to get out of the house for a little winter hike, just in time for another snow storm this week:
Listening to the deer run in the woods:
Reaching for Daddy's hand!
See the deer on top of the ridge, we saw 10 total, Levi loved it!
Monday:
Getting back into We Choose Virtues; our trait this week: I am Gentle.
Here's the plan:
Also, some of the ideas have been adapted from Kids of Integrity.
Tuesday:
Breakfast:
After reading the Parenting Card for I am Gentle, we discussed why we should be gentle and when and where. I'm amazed at how much better the discussion time is going now. It's been a couple months since we've went over a new character trait and Levi is able to discuss and think of things on his own now so much more. How exciting! We also went over our song for I am Gentle:
Lunch:
Towards the end of lunch I read them their Bible story today that would show them what gentleness is like. Today our focus was "I am Gentle with my Mouth". We
Levi chose to be like Jesus!:)
We also are making a Gentle Quilt. Now if I was real crafty I would make this real nice, but I'm not, so cardboard and fabric squares it is!
The point here is to talk about how a quilt is soft and nice to touch, of course the obvious correlation is we need to be touch softly too and take care of our things, animals and people. Whenever they demonstrate being gentle with their words or their actions we will add a fabric square to our gentle quilt. We are hoping to have a beautiful quilt by Sunday!
Gentleness Quilt
1 Cereal Box cut in half and trimmed
Tape
Staples
2 pieces Cardstock
Sharpie
Various fabric swatches
Place Cardstock together and tape it to cover the colorful side of the cereal box. Staple cereal box to card stock all the way around. We decided to write I Am Gentle on one side, but you could name it Gentleness Quilt, your child's name then quilt, use a Bible verse, the list goes on. Then make some fun patterns on the plain cereal side. Now use the fabric swatches as a reward for showing gentle behavior, cut the fabric out to match the pattern then glue on.
*By the way, the kids do help me make this so there's my disclaimer! haha!
We also got to watch A LOT of snow today:
Wednesday:
Another snow day! Ok, so I am really liking this whole "stay-at-home Mommy week" thing! Here's what we did today:
Colored our Gentle coloring page:
Our Bible Story today was in reference to the Gentle King, Jesus, and how He is also our Gentle Shepherd. The focus today was "I am Gentle with my Hands". We read Psalm 23 together from the Jesus Storybook Bible and then we made our own little sheep to take care of and practice being a gentle shepherd. Wow, let me tell ya, the boys thought that this was the best thing ever...maybe it's the whole cabin fever thing going on these days, but this connected with them, for sure!
So, Mommy threw (literally) this thing together in 2 minutes: cotton balls, toothpicks cut in half, glue gun and a sharpie marker for the eyes(should have went downstairs to get the googly eyes, but I didn't feel like it, it's COLD down there). Think back to high school when you had to carry the egg around to practice life with a baby and that's kind of what the point was here, some things, especially animals, babies and our possessions we have to be careful with: show kindness and compassion in our actions.
They had to handle their sheep gently, mostly because of the sharp toothpicks ends;) and build a barn for it. We pulled out the blocks for that. This is another great tool to teach gentleness for children. When you are building with blocks you have to be very particular in how place them or where, if you are rough with blocks, it all falls down. The boys worked together and made a very nice little barn and they improvised for the roof. They earned some fabric squares on their quilt, they were very nice, gentle shepherds today!:)
Goodnight, little sheep.
Then we built towers and castles all day, lots of fun!
The boys set the table tonight for Mommy and Daddy's candlelight dinner :) Great practice in carrying dishes...gently!
Thursday
Love seeing their teamwork:
Friday:
Still too cold to go outside so we made up some of our own snow to play with in the house: snow dough!
Just a little cornstarch, vegetable oil and some sprinkles for some color. The boys loved it and it felt so soft, it went hand in hand in talking about being gentle this week. This kept them busy for at least an hour.
Then it was time to "Row, row, row your boat"!
What a gentle big brother:
Saturday:
So today was one of those days if you had been around our family you would have had no clue that I've ever taught my children anything good or mannerly! Haha, I'm serious, it's like we reverted back a year today for some reason. "Sigh". I prayed for lots of patience today and the Lord granted it, Praise Him! But in the meantime we had a few "good" moments.
Si got to play with game cards today, we tried out his new gentleness skill and he did great:
By this evening, we were all able to cooperate and have a fun family game night which consisted of throwing dice and filling in what number we rolled. The first person to fill out their chart was the winner. This game was definitely a keeper!
Levi won this round!
We had a great week as a family this week and had some big accomplishments happen: Si threw away his paci in the trash on his own, so he is paci free; Levi can put himself down for a nap, reads his own book and turns out the light; and Si is talking up a storm, he can say seriously anything he wants to now...AMAZING!
God is so Good...all the time!
















No comments:
Post a Comment