Friday, November 22, 2013

Toys for Boys: Just in Time for Christmas

Our approach to toys in our home is to make them as meaningful as possible. This may not apply to everything that is in our house but when we make purchases for birthdays and Christmas I take into consideration their development and what stages are to come next. (Oh, and of course, their interest at the time)!

Here's what is on the list for Christmas this year.

Step 2 Deluxe Workbench

Levi LOVES to pretend to fix things like his Daddy right now so we are hoping this becomes a family favorite (you really never know). I think Si will start getting into this too. I actually think he would prefer a play kitchen but we just don't have room for all that, but I think the intricate tools, screws and drill will be a draw for him. We purchased an extra set of tools with a drill too for Si.

Mighty Mind Aquarium Adventure

This is one of those meaningful toys that engages creativity, fine motor skills, spatial awareness among other things. This may be a little early for Levi to get into this but I think with guidance from an adult right now he'll enjoy it and maybe by the time he turns four next May he can do them on his own.


LeapReader/Writer

I am SO excited about this one. The TAG books have just been a lifesaver in our home and such a great learning tool. It can get pricey, but the books go on sale all the time at Walmart and with coupons I find I can get books for right around $5 or less and you can't beat that for what you are getting. Currently, we only have one TAG pen right now and that is not cutting it, so we will be purchasing another one for Levi but with the added bonus of the pen that can "magically" write too. Being a lefty, I  know he will need a bit more guidance to get a handle on this whole writing thing so this added practice will be great. The pen does all the same things as TAG but there are also writing books I can add to our library for him as well. Can't wait! I guess I am a true teacher through and through!:)  Hoping to add this LeapReader map to his collection here soon, but that might have to wait until his birthday.

Musical Instruments

This is a surprise from Grammie! Let's just say they are going to be making a lot of noise....and that's ok!:)

Books

Lots of them. My hubby thinks I'm crazy sometimes with the way I COULD buy books. He just doesn't realize how much I restrain myself for the benefit of our budget! haha! Here are some of the books I bought to put under the tree this year and I'm probably not done yet.

Levi:

Beatrix Potter- The Complete Tales of Peter Rabbit (This is my favorite purchase along with the TAG pen)

Warrior Prince for God

Billy and Blaze- A boy and his horse

Josiah:

 Goodnight Construction Site

Hoping to add a few more here. Si is just so hard on books right now, he's rough so this may be all he gets until his birthday.

Stocking Stuffers:

These little Melissa and Doug WOW books that can be used just with water. This will be great when we have church functions and the kids need to be occupied for a time.

I'm hoping for this DVD set too: Bible Readeez- Check out the videos. I think on our long trips to Connecticut it would be perfect. Mommy and Daddy could enjoy the non-annoying kid music and the boys would enjoy the pictures, graphics and learning to recognize words at the same time too.


My hope in sharing this with you is to spark some ideas for your own kids/grandkids, this is not a paid advertizement at all, trust me. :) A lot of these books/toys I came across by reading blogs myself so I'm hoping it inspires you. Additional ideas or toys that you and your kids have enjoyed would be helpful too, just leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment