Saturday, September 28, 2013

Week 39


 Sunday, Sept. 22nd- Saturday, Sept. 28th

Before Church pics, these have almost become a ritual. Si loves backing up against the door and cheesing at me. Just can't get these two to do it together!







Started our We Choose Virtues Curriculum for the boys. Very excited about it, such appealing visuals and kid-friendly definitions. Here is our set-up so far:

 I have a weekly schedule for my mom to follow for breakfast and snack, so she doesn't have to argue with the boys or anything, Levi actually helps me plan this little "menu" for the week so he does better about eating, usually.  Anyway, I've added the virtue for the week on there and in red are the activities I have come up with to go along with the virtue or a Bible Character to read about.



Here are some of our activities for the week. We made the red "happy heart" because when we obey, right away we are doing the right thing and it makes our heart feel happy. So each time Levi (and Si) followed that, especially when I knew he REALLY didn't want to but made the choice to obey anyway, he was rewarded with a sticker. 10 stickers by Saturday means a trip to the Pumpkin Patch! (The heart is cut down the middle and a white heart is underneath with 10 lines to put our happy face stickers on.)


Our first day, we read about how Noah was obedient to the Lord even though he didn't fully understand and everyone else was making fun of him, so that night Daddy and Levi made an "ark". Levi had to obey or follow directions as daddy told him so they could make a good boat that would float...and it did!



We also made these Keys to Obedience and though they didn't turn out perfect laminating with a 3 and a 1 1/2 year old is interesting to say the least, however the point was made. After we made them we read about Adam and Eve and I went back and asked Levi if they followed the keys to obedience...and obviously no, they didn't. I think it's important to teach the opposite as well, that's why I like this curriculum it does a good job at that. Children need to see there are consequences to bad behaviour, as well.




These are great visuals now that we have in our house to go back and talk about obedience. The activities came from my own crazy mom imagination and of course, Pinterest!:) I started following the We Choose Virtues Board and found some of these on there.

Here's the song we came up with for this week:

 


So this is more or less our "Learning Time" these days. I'm not stressing about letters and numbers these days, there is plenty of time for that to come. I'm a big believer in learning through play right now at this age, because this is it...it's school from now on in just a few years. However, I do plan on starting a more structured "Learning Time" with Levi after we finish painting and updating our basement, hopefully after Christmas. But it will revolve more around sensory play and discovery.



Here's how my mom kept these two kiddos busy this week in the gorgeous fall weather:







Daddy and Levi cooked dinner one night, too fun for this Mommy to watch!




And then, finally had an adult night with a sweet married couple, hotdogs and smores over the fire, fellowship and prayer, wonderful night.



By the way, the new Smores marshmallows are easier to roast!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like so much fun. =-D I especially like and agree with teaching Godly character traits early vs. trying to get them "ahead" in academics. Relationship with God first then cultural necessities! Awesome and creative!!

    ReplyDelete