Monday, August 5, 2013

Lessons from Levi #10

I could probably write a Lesson from Levi literally every single day, we are learning and growing as a family all the time, but I'll try to just keep it to a couple times a month!:)

#10- Make family traditions.

This may seem like an obvious one, but it can get away from you if you're not careful, between schedules, events and distractions in our lives. I have a wonderful husband who really tries to make sure he gets in time with his boys every single day, but I wanted to make sure this can still happen and it's a special time as we approach the infamous soccer season. We both know that there will be days that he won't even get to see the boys with the schedule he has coming up, so we are going to implement special family dinners once a month.

We did it for the first time last Friday and it was a lot of fun and a surprise for my husband when he walked in.

My hubby usually walks into chaos a somewhat noisy house with the boys playing while I'm cooking dinner, but this time Levi was carefully setting the table and Josiah was in awe of the candles.

So, what did we do? Nothing too extravagent, but just a nice candlelight dinner with some piano music on in the background. I didn't make anything too crazy, just pasta and sauce, but you would have thought it was pretty amazing the way the boys (and hubby) responded.






Everyone felt special and it made us all connect and have a wonderful evening together. There is something in us that loves food, family and a calm atmosphere. It's soul food.

I do plan on developing this a bit more as we do it. Hopefully, it'll be a place where we can teach the boys etiquette for a more formal dinner and how to act like gentlemen. I hope to start using special dinnerware and linens and have Levi be more involved with the cooking aspect.

Family traditions are a safe place for us all to be ourselves and to love one another.

Please share some of your favorite family traditions in the comments below! I would love more ideas!

Click here for more  Lessons from Levi.


No comments:

Post a Comment