Friday, July 29th- July 2nd
As I write the dates above of the days we were affected by the storm that hit and devestated much of WV and the surrounding states, there are still families without power and/or water. I am very humbled and blessed to have only been effected this long and I praise the Lord for His provision!
I wanted to write down a few things that I learned as we experienced this derecho.
1. First of all, I learned that a derecho is is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. Never knew that before we experienced one.
Here's what it looked like in Charleston about 45 minutes away from us on Friday evening:
2. I am still afraid of thunderstorms, probably even more now that I have young children in the house. Here I am, pretending to be all brave after the lights went out:
3. I would not have made it as a pioneer woman! John and I talked about how amazing it is that our bodies are so used to AC and our eyes are so accustomed to light that we almost turn nonfunctioning when we're without. Here's a few pics of what the heat did to us:
It made us do crazy things, have really curly hair and sleep a lot!
It actually ended up getting to 88 one night...blah!
4. I love my family! So I already knew that, but I was reminded of how much I do! Being stuck in a hot house for 3 1/2 days with your husband, a two year old and a two month old can get kinda crazy, but we actually had some fun times; playing outside in the water, "camping" downstairs in the basement and having the hubby grill out every meal and hanging out with our really cool neighbors. Not too bad, I'd say.
5. I flipped the light switch EVERYTIME I went into the bathroom, don't know why, that's the only room I would do that in.
6. I take my life for granted. I really do. Electricity, running water, food, there's not a day that has gone by since the storm that I haven't uttered a simple prayer of thanks to God for these things.
7. These things are much more scary when you have kids. Your perspective totally changes when you have two little lives that you are worried about getting enough food and water!
8. I give us a "C" on our readiness for this crisis. We had plenty of food, but no extra water for some reason, I had missed that!:( Also, we were blessed with the provision of a generator for temporary use, but we have definitely reevaluated our lives and are making some changes.
9. God is in control! Again, I was reminded of this in a very real way. We felt so small and helpless as we were here in our house with no way of communication. My mom had to come over to my house to tell me something and vice versa, how weird is that!:) haha!
10. I really don't feel better off with all the technology that we have in our lives. (Even though if I hadn't been on facebook I would have totally missed that we were even getting a storm.) We didn't miss TV, Levi didn't even ask for his shows that he usually does. I really didn't miss having constant access to the Internet, I ended up doing more things with my family (by the way, both babies are sleeping now!), however I did miss my telephone!
All in all, we learned a lot about ourselves and our family and hopefully can continue to grow from it. God is good all the time and we are a blessed people!

No comments:
Post a Comment